Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tim's Tag Day 2

Here is my version of Tim's Day 2 Tag. This was very challenging since I had very little of what he used. I will give you my version just in case you are having the same problems, but want to achieve a look similar to his.

First, Tim uses various shades of alcohol inks for his background. I only had Denim and Eggplant. I tried it with those, but really wanted the lighter blue look. I tried it again, but this time I sponged Broken China Distress ink on my paper before I did the AI 'smoosh'. AHA! That did the trick! I sponged more on after it was dry until I got the color I wanted. I really wish I had the tree stamp he used, but I had nothing remotely close to it - I thought this feathery plant stamp from Oxford Impressions would be a great substitute and it was! Ok, next problem - I had no white flourish rub ons. But, I did have a pretty awesome flourish stamp and white embossing powder! It worked perfectly.

Then I was faced with one of my biggest problems - no bird charm. No charm at all that would work! Well, again, necessity is the mother of invention. To make my own 'charm' I stamp a bird from Oxford Impression on Grungeboard and embossed it with silver ep. I cut it out and sponged Black Soot Distress ink all over and then wiped it off. The scan isn't the best....it came out so great! Very close to the real thing. Finally, I had no Grungeboard book plate, but one from my Stampin' Up hardware set worked just fine. It even matched my bird!

I'm thinking I should change my blog name to Hillbilly Stamping or something. ;-) I do love the challenge of using what I have on hand instead of buying more stuff (not that I don't love buying the stuff!). Sometimes it just brings out the MacGyver in me I guess.

15 comments:

  1. It came out great! I love how you improvised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I can't wait to try this technique at home. You are a very resourceful stamper, Shelly.

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your impervising and it always turns great..you are a true 3r girl(reduce, reuse and recycle)..i want to play..heading to pack to leave tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way you improvise is very inspiring! love your tag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly - Love it!!! You did a great job with your "Hill Billy" substitutions! Love the weed/flower stamp that you used!

    Where to you find the time? I'm up to my eyeballs in Holiday decorating, baking, gift making... I haven't stamped since before Thanksgiving!!! But hopefully after this weekend things should calm down because I really want to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love your version of the tag. Mine is on my blog, but I couldn't get the depth that I wanted. I think I should have stamped snow flaked in denim colored ink, but I had to try my own thing and do them in white...but hey we tried, right???

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know what? I think I like your more simplistic tag than Tim's. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelly, your "Shelly" tag is simply beautiful! After this week is over I hope to get down to creating. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg - what a georgeous tag - love the colors, the pictures - just all.
    lg
    mamapia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tag is beautiful - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your "MacGyver" approach -- particularly the idea of using stamped grungeboard for the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Shelley, this is gorgeous! After I saw your post on the TJ group I had to run over here to see all the details! I too thought it resembled a TJ technique while I was reading his blog. I love your "hillbilly" approach! Can't say how many times I haven't tried something because I didn't have all the "right" ingredients. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the blues and the whole design of the top tag. The bird and label are lovely! The bottom just says Merry Christmas in Paris or Europe!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your tag it is stunning -gorgeous colour and I love the stamps you have used brilliant

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!