Monday, February 8, 2010

Sunday Postcard Art - Cats, Mixed Media Monday - Romance

I have always wanted to participate in the Sunday Postcard Art challenge, but never quite got around to it. When I saw the theme for this week though, I knew I had to do it! In my last post I mentioned how much I love the images at Twisted Papers. I downloaded this adorable little girl with her kitty last week and have been dying to use it. I am also submitting this for today's Mixed Media Monday. We are big cat lovers in my family. That kinda counts as romance, right? ;-)

My first layer is made of felt that has been stiffened with fabric stiffener and run through the Cuttlebug. I wish this hadn't ended up being so hidden - it looks really cool! The pink layer is done using the Faux Felt technique from the Feb/March '09 issue of the Technique Junkies newsletter. I've stamped it with a background stamp from the new Bonbon collection from Oxford Impressions. The word Valentine (also from OI) is stamped on a vintage paper scrap and covered in melted beeswax to give it strength.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, this card is beautiful and cute.

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shelley, what a gorgeous image! And, what an interesting process. Thanks for inspiring me to create with fabric - I too love to 'feel' my artwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific artwork, Shelly! Beautifully created!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girlie. What a beautiful card! I wanna make one! I need to be using felt as a substrate more often. Great idea! Hey, anytime you want to head north and come play amongst my fabric piles, you're more than welcome! lol Holler and sometime we'll do a swap. I'm sure I could swap tons of fabric scraps for altered bits and ephemera... Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shelly, such a gorgeous piece you have created. I love it.
    debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet card, just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh--this is amazing!!
    What a beautiful piece! True inspiration, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this card!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet, romantic piece! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so sweet! I'm glad you decided to join in the Sunday Postcard Art challenge - I hope to see more of your work in future. And thanks for sharing your techniques.

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the sweetest Valentine I've seen..how adorable. Love the diff. texture and material you used here. Thanks for making art with me at sunday postard art blog..hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG this is darling.
    Absolutely delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a good combination of the two challenges! and such a sweet result, adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is sooooo romantic Shelly, so creative and beautiful, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is stunning! I love your work, Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is lovely--very interesting use of textures and fabric. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally gorgeous...beautiful creation! Bravo! LynnF

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!