Friday, December 31, 2010

Tag Tuesday - Christmas Leftovers/Compendium of Curiosities #25/Simon Says - Yesteryear

After having so much fun making my chunky 'Tim' tags, I couldn't stop! I think I might be a little addicted to them, to be honest. I created this tag for the Tag Tuesday 'Christmas Leftovers' challenge, as well as the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge,  and also as a gift for my good friend, Becky (who had better not be reading this!). It also fits the Simon Says Stamp & Show Yesteryear challenge. Whew!

This is the first time I've joined in with the Compendium of Curiosities challenge...it's one of those things I kept meaning to do, but never quite got my act together. The current challenge - Scribble Stain Distress - was such an easy technique, I had no excuse not to try it! Very hard to see any squiggles, they got mostly covered up. I also added a little spritz of red Perfect Pearls mist that you can kind of see in the pic above. Very pretty IRL!

It's not a big feature of my tag, but the little piece of satin ribbon along the bottom is my leftover from Christmas. It started out as a larger piece of ribbon that I saved from a gift I'd received. I dyed it to match my tag using brown and red Distress inks. I heated it just a bit, which gave it that little gathered look.

I was really excited to use my new Steampunk stamps from Oxford Impressions on this tag. They are so cool! The buttons were made by stamping onto Grungeboard, trimming, and then inking with brown Distress ink. I added Rock Candy crackle paint to the top (kind of hard to see). I love how they came out!

The frame is the sample from the technique I first showed here. The sentiment was computer-generated. I always think Happy Birthday sounds so much better in French! :-) The woman is a photo image rubber stamp from the Beloved collection, also from Oxford Impressions. The flourish on the left is from Tim Holtz.

As with my 12 Tags of Christmas, this is mounted on a piece of 1x4 pine that was cut to size and covered with vintage French book pages. 

Thanks so much for stopping by! Be safe tonight (I'll be glued to the Weather Channel, hoping to avoid tornadoes!) and have a Happy New Year!

22 comments:

  1. Great Tag, Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Shelley!

    This tag is gorgeous!!! Here's to another year filled to the brim with creative moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning tag! I love the colors! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and fabulous piece, Shelly. Happy 2011 to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome, Shelly! Really love the ribbon at the bottom, and those faux bookplates are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tag, Shelly. I must get me one of those C of C books. I've been watching Netty's posts as she completes these exercises and am so envious. I really truly thought I was getting that for Christmas. But no, I got a Kreuig coffeemaker. I don't drink coffee, except on rare occasions. I think I'll have to buy the book myself. Anyway, I hope that the tornados avoid going where you live. Strange time of year for tornados. It is 11:33 and so Happy New Year@

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Gorgeous!! Love all of your fabulous details on this one. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just really, really cool. Everything about it is so crafty. I love making my own embellishments so I really appreciate your frame and faux buttons. And I totally LOVE the way you have mounted the tag on a block of wood. I'm fascinated with using the wood and want to try it, but I don't have any wood cutting tools :(.

    We're so happy you were able to join in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The more i see your chunky tags the more i wanna try one, there so beautiful... can i ask what you used, is it just chunks of shaped pine?
    Wishing you a happy and crafty 2011 xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shelly this is a beautiful tag...just stunning indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This tag is gorgeous, Shelly. It definitely looks as though it needs a bit of wood behind it, paper just wouldn't do. Lovely how you put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is beautiful, Shelly! I really like the use of the French words for happy birthday - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Shelly, this is amazing! Welcome to the CCC, and thank you for sharing such gorgeous collection of vintage beauty, all on a single tag. I love the imagery and those great steampunk stamps, and you're so right-- "happy birthday" does sound better in French! You did a great job on the scribble stain distress!

    I hope we see you again next week for the new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful tag, Shelly! I love all the various bits you've combined - they all work wonderfully together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tag. Shelly! I love all of the vintage-y elements!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a terrific tag!
    I just started putting up my 2010 tags. check them out when you have a chance http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    stamping sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you know what i love best about this beautiful piece? It is my birthday present from my special friend! It is sooo pretty and the ribbon technique makes it really special. Shelly - you are one talented person. Thank you! Beck

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omigosh.....Ha...I see Becky DID read your post! ;-) What a great collection of items you selected to make this wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!