Monday, December 1, 2014

12 Days of Ornaments - Day 1!

Hi all! Happy December! A few days ago I was out shopping and came across a bunch of very cool Christmas ornaments. Of course (as is my habit) I said, 'I could make that with a die!' I had so many ideas that I decided I would do twelve of them, for the 12 Days of Christmas. Fun, right?!

My first ornament was inspired by the vintage red camp lanterns that are so perfect for rustic Christmas decor.  The Rusty Lantern die from Tim Holtz is one of my favorite dies from last year. It's one that I didn't have a chance to use when it came out, so I decided to dust it off and try a new technique. I wanted the finish to look like paint that was worn and rusted in some places. Here's how I made it:

Begin by die cutting the lantern from medium weight chipboard that has been covered with foil tape. Cut the knob from the same chipboard, and cut the lantern glass from clear plastic.

Lightly sand the metal and then paint with Walnut Stain Distress Paint. When it's dry, brush over the lantern with embossing ink. Make sure your inking is random.

Sprinkle inked areas with Walnut Stain Distress embossing powder (Update: Walnut Stain is no longer available, you can substitute Vintage Photo, which I've linked to below). Brush it off if it looks too thick. Heat it to emboss. That's our rust!

Next, paint over the whole die cut with Fired Brick Distress Paint. Use a heat tool to dry it to get some bubbling for texture. When it's dry and cool, rub over the embossed areas with a baby wipe to expose the texture. Don't worry if you expose the metal in some places - it just makes it look more worn.

To bring out the texture and add more of a rusty look, ink over the die cut with Potting Soil Archival ink.

If the red paint isn't quite bright enough, sponge over the lantern with a bit of Red Geranium Archival ink. I also went back and added a few more patches of Walnut Stain Distress ep to give it the look of layers of rust. To make sure your ink stays in place, lightly coat the ornament with gloss medium. Finally, ink the glass piece with alcohol ink, add a wire hanger, and tie with a bit of twine and a Tidings Token.

How cool is that rusty texture? I love that it looks decades old, but takes just minutes to create. I hope you'll give this one a try - you will be hooked I'm sure!

All of the supplies I used to create my vintage-inspired lantern ornament can be found at Simon Says Stamp and Amazon via the links below.





Thanks SO much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed the rusty paint tutorial as much as I enjoyed making it. Tomorrow I'll have another fun ornament and technique...I'll see you then!

26 comments:

  1. I love the rusty texture Shelly!! Can't wait to see the rest of ornaments. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow- great technique. I have an idea for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea Shelly! Can't wait to see all of your 12 Days of Ornaments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! A must try technique. Looks so rustic. Thinking this would make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful ornaments! Love this technique! Thanks for sharing with us!!! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such an enabler Shelly, now I want that die too! Your lantern is fabulous, the rusting looks amazing. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks fab, Shelly!

    Great technique! Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an absolute master at creating faux textures. This is sensational, Shelly. I am totally drooling over this one! Thanks so much for sharing your process of creating it.

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rusty finish on this is absolutely amazing, Shelly! Had to come see how you did that, and now really want to give this a try. LOVE your lantern! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhhhh!!! ilove it!!, i don´t know how express in english so much i love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. neat technique with a beautiful result. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelly, this is SOOO pretty! I love all the layering of product and grungy effect that came as a result. I know all too well making these look like this. I did mine last year in brown. I am a HUGE fan of this die. I just got another Christmas tree for my main floor and it needs ornaments. The hope is I'll have time to make some for it. I'll for sure be making these to hang off it in red!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool is that rusty texture? VERY COOL! Love this, Shelly. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous Shelly, I love how it looks so real. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous ornament! Love the rusty nostalgic feel! I can't wait to see what you create next!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I love how this turned out Shelly! Can't wait to see what you create next!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE a 12 ornament challenge for you!!! I can't wait to see the next, and this one rocks!!! Totally looks real!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shelly--This is AWESOME!!! WOW!! You're really making me look at my own personal stash of dies (and future to be bought dies) in a whole new way!! I hold off getting many dies because I just don't think I'd ever use them enough...Well, with your Day 1 Christmas ornament, I'm excited to try these techniques for myself to make Christmas ornaments!! This is why you're one of my FAV designers!! Merry Christmas!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just tried your technique for my current post and WOWEEE was that fun! Thank you SO much. Had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally amazing, Shelly - the lantern looks decades old, fabulously rusty and grungy. Thanks so much for another amazing tutorial.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I found your blog thru Lisa and WOW THIS IS FABULOUS! I can see that you will be an enabler lol! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You never cease to amaze! Thank you for sharing this fantastic project with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!