Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Frilly and Funkie Challenge - Let There Be Light!

Hi all! Today I'm sharing my project for the latest Frilly and Funkie challenge. The hostess for this challenge is Sue, and she's chosen 'Let There Be Light' as her theme. Sue says, "One of the things I don't like at this time of year is the lack of light to craft by in the evenings. So, for this challenge I'd like you to include something in your project that makes reference to light, this could be a lamp, lantern, rays of light or even gradients of colour that get lighter!"

Being that I'm a very literal person - I took this challenge very literally! I decided to make a lantern from Tim Holtz's new Birch Trees die. I will admit - I cheated a little on this challenge. I'd already made a similar Halloween lantern a few years ago and pretty much followed my old tutorial. Heck, if other people can be inspired by my tutorials, I can too, right?! ;)

I was so into the process, I didn't really take any photos, other than the one below that shows how it goes together.

To make the panels, I adhered 100 lb cardstock to Elizabeth Craft Designs' double sided adhesive. I recommend this above all others for projects like this! It will really hold your pieces together, and it's thin enough that the die should have no problem cutting through.

After I adhered the paper to the adhesive, I die cut the birch trees panel. To create the frosted windows, I adhered Frosted Film to clear panels that were cut from die packaging I'd saved. After inking the trees, I removed the backing and adhered them to the frosted panels.

The base is a 4"x4" piece of MDF that I found in a package of different shapes at Hobby Lobby. To connect the panels, I cut small strips to size, scored them in half, then adhered wonder tape to the scored panels. After removing the adhesive, I adhered one edge to a panel, then connected it to the next one. Repeat the steps for all the panels until they are all connected. Add more wonder tape to the base and adhere the walls to it.

The decorative greenery was made with Tim's Tattered Pinecones die and the new Winter Greens die set. They were both die cut from Kraft Core'dinations paper and doused with Rock Candy glitter.

Here is the lantern at night. Isn't it pretty?! Since this is made from plastic and paper, be sure and use a battery operated candle.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! Be sure and visit the Frilly and Funkie blog to see all the wonderful submissions. We would love for you to join us!

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely - the trees look so amazing with the light glowing in between!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Shelly this is beautiful!!! i always want to make every one of your projects but i think i might for sure attempt this one for my mantel this winter!! thanks for always inspiring us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Shelly, you really blow me away with your creativity! This is just incredible! I love the pine cone cluster, it adds such a woodsy Christmas feel to it. Just stunning, and so romantic when it's lit up. Love it! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful, Shelly , and such a functional decorative piece of artwork for your Christmas table! Lovely glow that really looks amazing coming through the forest of trees! Your cluster of pine just puts this over the top for me! Love this and so appreciate the hard work that you put into it! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Shelly, the trees look fantastic with the light shining through them. I love your cluster of foliage and pinecones too. Beautiful. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so creative! I remember your Halloween lantern, and I never did make one. Think I will make a couple of these for my mantel this year! Thanks for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous piece Shelly! Love the birch trees. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outstandingly stunning Shelly!!! It looks as beautiful unlit as it does lit up. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, so pretty! This die is perfect to make a lantern. Love all the festive touches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is soooo pretty and I can just picture it lit up with the room lights off and the only other light in room is a fireplace. Of course, a glass of wine is in my imagination. Romantic, I think. Love the pine cone spray and the trees look terrific.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic Shelly! Your birch looks so real and I LOVE the lantern. So clever and so beautiful. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super gorgeous! I LOVE the subtle tones through the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the colors! Such a gorgeous piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!