Sunday, December 6, 2009

Tim's Tag Day 5 & 6

Ok, I'm back from Indiana (what a nice place!) and back on track with my tags. As usual, I didn't have most of the right stuff to make the tags, but since improvising is so much fun, I didn't mind at all!

I have to say, I even went to the store this time but they didn't have the right fragments! I think it is really hard to duplicate the look of them - they give so much depth and are so clear. I decided to try and work with the shapes I did have and I think it came out pretty good! I thought these photos would be perfect on my tag. They are actually gift tags that I found at a store recently. They were so adorable....I knew I would find a use for them.

I did the rest of the tag pretty much exactly like Tim's. I decided on the blue and green color scheme when I chose to use the tags. It reminds me of the time my dad did our tree all in blue and green ornaments - it was so pretty! The branch stamp is from Artistic Outpost. After I embossed it with the Distress ep, I rubbed a little silver metallic paint over it. It kind of gave it a nice highlighted effect. The music stamp is from Oxford Impressions.

The German scrap trim is from my friends at RockCandy Studios. They have a fantastic selection of trims. They also carry the metallic rub ons, which I used on my branch, and also to highlight the raised portion of the trim.

I thought tag #6 was going to be impossible, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I had the perfect stamps! I knew right away that I would use this truck stamp from Artistic Outpost. I think I've actually seen someone use it this way before. Isn't it the most perfect stamp? I used a PSX tree stamp for the tree and various acrylic stamps for the rest.

I made my own snow by rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together to shred it. I got the idea from this video on making your own flower soft. She's a genius! I added a sprinkle of Martha Stewart glitter to make it sparkle. It sparkled a lot more before I got impatient and started putting it together before it dried.

Here is a little freebie for you. The wooden number piece on my tag is an old French game piece that I found at an estate sale. It was one of those fantastic finds - an old French tin that everyone had overlooked. I picked it up thinking that the tin was cool in itself. I opened it and it was FILLED with dozens of the pieces. What a find! They are really thick and would be hard to use on something like a tag. However, you can print it out, glue it to a scrap of Grungeboard and voila - vintage game piece!

15 comments:

  1. i love what you have done here...just brilliant. you are so very talented, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gift tag ornaments are perfect! (I have found so many uses for gift tags.)
    Both your tags are wonderfully done. And your little game piece, what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I REALLY like the way you used the non-charm Fragments - hanging them as people used to hang framed pictures - VERY cool!
    And your truck & tree on #6 ... oh, now I really want that truck stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look as forward to YOUR tags every day as I do TIM'S!! And I'm not just writing that. It's the TRUTH! LOVE your tags Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeepers, Shelly - you Indiana girls are EXTREMELY talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely ahead of me now, Shelly! I have an old pickup and a tree, but that's it. Too many activities scheduled this weekend, but I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. LOVE your blue-green tag with the square ornaments! It's just all-around beautiful. Thanks for the freebie image. I'm sure I can use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Shelly,
    I think you should be doing your own 12 tags 0f Christmas, The black and white photos have such a wonderful vintage feel and that game piece. Wow ,what a great treasure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished tag number 7 and I realized that not only am I having to improvise, I am also using stamps that I have been ingnoring. It's good getting out the older stamps and reusing them. My tree on tag 6 came from 2000--a SU tree that I hadn't even looked at in years, but I knew it would come in handy someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tags are turning out great! I love the idea. I think I'll plan for it next Christmas, this year I've just been too busy. Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous take on Tim's tag! I'm glad I got to see it....deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tags are just plain fantastic! I really like the little photo ornaments...perfect!
    And the little French game pieces...what a find!! I'll have to snag the one you offered to add to finish off my tag. One of these days I'll get them posted to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really love your take on the tim-tags! you make the ideas your own style, your talent to improvise is amazing! great results!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your tags, and the colors on #6 are great! Love the blue ink with black trim & b&w photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous tags! The blue one is just darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!