Monday, May 9, 2011

Grungy Monday #6 Plus a NEW Challenge!

Last week's Grungy Monday challenge ended up being a total bust for me - I made something so bad I couldn't imagine sharing it with anyone! This week's challenge was to reinterpret Tag #8 from Tim Holtz's 2007 12 Tags of Christmas. Much easier challenge for me! I love this technique because you can change it up and get different results every time.

This is the first time I've used my new dress form stamp from Tim's Haberdashery collection - it is such a cool stamp! After I'd created my background, I stamped the dress form with black Adirondack pigment ink and embossed it with Ranger's black embossing powder. Aren't those flower centers cute? I covered my brads with Eyeliner Black Sparkly Fluff. I love the extra texture and sparkle it adds!

Oooh, love this bit! Who would think that a little paint from a Dabber could totally change the look of a Philosophy Tag? It really helps to tie it in with the rest of the tag.

I created my flowers using a modified version of the Acetate Flowers technique from the Dec/Jan '11 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter. Instead of acetate, I used some clear plastic from a package of Grungeboard. Which brings me to the challenge!! This month, the Inspiration Emporium team is challenging you to create something using any type of packaging. One lucky participant will receive $50 Emporium Bucks to spend at the online store. How awesome is that? Start digging through your recycling and see what you can come up with!


Supplies used:
Haberdashery rubber stamps (dress form) by Tim Holtz
Papillon rubber stamps (background) by Tim Holtz
Take Flight rubber stamps (flourish) by Tim Holtz
Idea-ology Trinket Pins
Idea-ology Swivel Clasps
Idea-ology Long Fasteners
Idea-ology Jump Rings
Idea-ology Philosophy Tags
Adirondack Paint Dabbers - Pool and Snow Cap
Distress Ink - Tumbled Glass
Adirondack Pigment Ink - Pitch Black
Ranger Archival Ink - Jet Black
Sparkly Fluff - Eyeliner Black
Ranger Embossing Powder - Black
Sizzix Tattered Florals Die

37 comments:

  1. Lovely tag, gorgeous background and colour and I love the flowers. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Wow, Shelly, this is a stunner!The background technique is perfect, and the tone-on-tone overstamping makes it even prettier. The stamping and those awesome flowers (from packaging!!!) and sweet embellishments all work together so well. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, this is just fantastic! I have to try out my stamp soon too. I bought it as soon as it came out and haven't used it. I use that clear packaging all the time. My friends all made fun of me for keeping it and using it and now everyone's doing it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tag Shelly, loving your great background and beautiful flowers. You certainly rocked the challenge. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh Shelly I seem to have been on a break as I have not caught up with you for awhile, and I don't know why!
    This is gorgeous, all the techniques are so interesting, I love the plastic flower.
    Smiles:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just stunning, i love everything about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous tag! Love the colors and your flowers are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous tag the background is lovely, great colours
    thanks for sharing
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this its beautiful. I dont have that stamp yet but its on the most wanted list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has got a feminine grunge feel to it -- which I like! A cool color combo, too. Thanks for sharing the tip about adding the acrylic paint to the metal tag, really does change it up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Shelly, absolutely stunning tag! I have seen that stamp yet either. You did such a lovely job I didn't even recognize it as a stamp.
    Very Impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this, Shelly!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Shelly....this is just downright fabulous! I love the colors....and that dress form stamp is so wonderful with those neat flowers! Just beautiful, all around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome Shelly! Love the colors, and great job with the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really stunning tag. Fantastic colours and details.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A gorgeous tag - love the colours and the flowers are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty and girly tag! Love the colors, the plastic flowers, and the metal accents! I didn't get in on the last challenge either, I didn't even try that one!! lol
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an absolutely brilliant idea and really creative way to use Tim's techniques! Wish I'd thought of it! Thanks for your kind words about my creation - very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Shelly! Your tag is beautiful! LOVE the colors and the dressform in black against the bluish background...beautiful! Also love the flowers! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay I like all the stuff you make, it's all really cool, BUT...I really like this one!! can you guess why??
    Could it be the Turquoise blue color scheme??... this is a totally awesome tag, and I LOVE the blue words on the little charm! GENIUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like the look & feel of this tag and you have used some yummy goodies

    Love dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tag is stunning! So very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous tag! I love those flowers, where did you learn the technique for them?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the tag! And love the color you rubbed into the metal tag letters!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Shelley! Your tag is stunning! Love the colour, design, everything in fact!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous tag! The background is luscious, the haberdashery stamp in black is chic and the flowers make the texture of the mannequin stand out! I love everything about this tag.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh..my!!! Your tag is gorgeous!
    Love the colour and beautiful details!
    Love it!!
    ♥♥♥
    Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  28. The black looks so vivid on the blue - love the soft and strong together and your subtle textures are great.
    Sarah at 28

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh this is awesome Shelly!!! Can't wait to unpack all my art stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Shelly, this is simply a devine tag and a lovely interpertaion of the design technique. Love the flowers and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great artwork you've made on this tag. Each detail is at the perfect place.... Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very pretty color combo. With the mannequin it all looks shabby chic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely love your tag. It is stunning. The colours are great, the dress form looks real and the flowers are brilliant.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  34. Shelly - This is just beautiful. I LOOOVE the philosophy tag. Wonderful - I always look forward to your creations

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!