Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Frilly & Funkie - Chalk it Up!

Hi everyone! Today I'm sharing my card for the latest Frilly and Funkie challenge. It was my turn to choose a theme this time and I decided on 'Chalk it Up'. I originally intended to create a background with this cool chalk technique I came up with a few years ago, but I spotted the Halloween Blueprint stamps in my stash and ended up going in a totally different direction! Here's a quick tutorial:

I started by stamping the pumpkin onto one of Ranger's black tags and embossing it with Frosted Crystal embossing powder (you can see a full tutorial for this technique on Tim Holtz's blog). After it cooled, I rubbed it with chalk to give it the chalkboard look.

I loved the look of it, but I wanted just a bit of color. I decided to experiment with liquid chalk and Distress markers to see if I could get a colored chalk finish on my pumpkin. I started by coloring in the sections with the liquid chalk (you can find the brand I used on Amazon). After letting it dry, I carefully colored over it with the spiced marmalade marker. It worked! I added a bit of mustard seed after it dried to give it a more yellowy-orange color. After I finished, I made sure and scribbled the markers onto a scrap of paper to get rid of any chalk that had gotten on the tip.

A word of caution - while I'm pretty sure my markers will be fine, I can't guarantee it. If you want to be absolutely safe, you can scribble your marker onto a palette and use a brush to pick it up and color with it. And, while I didn't have time to try it, I'm sure you could press a Distress ink pad onto a craft sheet, pick up the ink with a brush and color with that. I did try a reinker and it didn't work at all - it wouldn't dry. So have fun experimenting, but be careful! I tend to be a bit adventurous with my supplies and I know not everyone is like that. ;)

The supplies I used can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique via the links below.



Thanks so much for stopping by today! There is still plenty of time to join the challenge. For all the details, along with some fantastic inspiration from the Frilly and Funkie team, make sure you check out this post. We'd love to have you join us!

11 comments:

  1. So, so clever the way you've created that pumpkin centre piece! I love the whole look to this and the entire chalky theme. Thank you for sharing this tutorial. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your chalky pumpkin and those fabulous burlap letter flags!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Shelly, love your chalky colouring and the chalk technique. Love the banners too . Gorgeous piece. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is perfect. I have been trying to achieve that look and couldn't seem to get it right. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a super sweet card...the pumpkin is perfectly done. A great technique. Thanks for the inspiration. I have some chalk paper so gives me a a great idea for using it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the chalk board style card a lot, Shelly.
    Yours is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your theme Shelly and your card is so clever! I love how you used chalk to edge the pumpkin xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful techniques to create your fall card. The card has such a lovely country feel to it with the burlap and colour palette.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this autumn card. The burlap banner and twine detail really make this card all about fall. The chalk pumpkin is perfect! Great card design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your card Shelly. The chalk technique works so well with this stamp. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the burlap ribbon flags! Thanks for hosting such a great challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute and so appropriate for this time of year! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!