Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Autumn Splendor Tag Triptych

Happy Wednesday, all! It's time for another Frilly and Funkie challenge. This week's hostess is Nancy, who has chosen Autumn Splendor as her theme. Nancy wants us to "create a vintage or shabby chic project using the rich colors of autumn, and remember to include an autumn leaf somewhere in your project."

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do, but decided you can never go wrong with tags and Distress Spray Stains! I'd never done a tag triptych before and thought it would be fun to experiment with the idea using Tim Holtz's Tag and Bookplates die from Sizzix, one of his new stamps sets,  and some Distress Spray Stains.

To create the tags, I accordion-folded watercolor paper so that the width of each panel was slightly smaller than the opening on the Tag and Bookplates die. I die cut the folded paper, creating three connected tags. After cutting the tag accordion, I stamped it with one of the stamps from Tim's new Ledger Script Set, using Picket Fence Distress paint. After it dried, I spritzed a non-stick craft sheet with various colors of Ranger's Distress Spray Stain and laid the stamped paper into the stain and lifted it back out. Love these colors and how cool is that resist effect?!

Now I had to figure out what to do with the panels! I just got home from a ten day trip and was amazed at all the leaves that had fallen while I was gone. While I was kicking around in them, I had a thought - what if I cut some of the prettiest ones using Tim's new Fall Foliage die?! As you can see, they are amazing!! What's great is that you can line up the 'vein' on the die with the leaf vein, so the leaves look totally natural. Cool!

To complete the tag triptych, I added a die cut tree, a computer-generated quote, and some other embellishments. I adhered the die cut leaves here and there, to give the effect of a windy autumn day.

All of the supplies I used can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique via the links below.



Thanks so much for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed my take on 'Autumn Splendor' and I hope you can join us over at the Frilly and Funkie blog for this fun challenge!

19 comments:

  1. How brilliant are you to cut real leaves with a leaf die cut? ! They look amazing and your background on the tag triptych is wonderful, love the resist script stamping. Thanks so much for sharing this Shelly, Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I love this Leaves and this autumn colors....super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the rich colors and your cut out leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this project, thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful. Leaves cut from real leaves - clever. Love all the background colour, stenciling and stamping to create a warm base for your fall beauty.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just Beautiful! Love the colors...now that we live in Florida we don't see these as much....miss some of these colors but not the cold that goes with it. :) TFS this wonderful technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tantalizingly Stunning Shelly.... the epitome of autumn splendor. Gorgeous triptych. j

    ReplyDelete
  8. The border on these is amazing! It's almost lacy...i LOVE them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Brilliant idea to use real leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cool idea to cut your leaves from leaves! Love that background. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous triptych - the resist script is gorgeous amidst the vivid colours and the real leaf leaves look wonderful.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. THUD!! That was my jaw dropping!! Your tag triptych is like a breathtaking walk through an autumn woods. Your background alone is gorgeous, then add the embellishments and you have a fall Fairytale!! Beautiful!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is amazing, how fun that you cut leaves from leaves! They are beautiful, as is your background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful Shelly! I love the vibrancy in which you have painted Autumn xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leaves die cut from leaves! SO SO SO CLEVER!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I cannot believe you used leaves to die cut leaves. Crazy lady! It explains why your leaves look so realistic! I love it all. The colors of the Distress Spray background are so perfect for fall and just gorgeous to look at. The leave are just perfection....great project as always. I love how you think outside the box in ways that NOBODY else can do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shelly, you just blow me away with all of your lovely creations. Your Sizzix things just rock and this triptych is gorgeous as well. You are sooo talented! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shelly, you just blow me away with all of your lovely creations. Your Sizzix things just rock and this triptych is gorgeous as well. You are sooo talented! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!