Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Pop it Ups Designer Challenge - Home for the Holidays

Hi all! Today I'm sharing my card for this month's Karen Burniston Designer Challenge. For December, the theme is Home for the Holidays. We could use any of the dies to depict our idea of what that meant to us. I knew right away that I wanted to make a little cabin in the woods, surrounded by snow and trees. That's my idea of the perfect holiday house!

I've been wanting to try making stamps from the trees from Karen's Evergreen Pivot Card die set and this was the perfect time to try it. I cut them from thin fun foam that I bought in a pack at the dollar store. To give the stamp some texture, I pressed a piece of foliage onto the surface after I'd inked it. I love the subtle look of it.

After I'd stamped the trees on the top half of the card, I used Karen's Lots of Pops die to cut the pop-up. I stamped several more trees and then used the die to cut them out (that is, I finally figured out I could use the die after cutting several of them out by hand and thinking, 'boy, I wish I had a die that could cut these.' Duh!).

The cabin was made by cutting the Holiday House from adhesive-backed kraft cardstock, and then cutting it into strips and applying it to a base cabin piece. ECD's white microfine glitter makes perfect snow. I wanted some tiny antlers for above the door, but knew I didn't have anything that small. Remembering Karen's use of shrink plastic, I had an ah-ha moment and made some using the detail layer from Rudy the Reindeer's antlers. So cute! The snow was made by cutting adhesive-backed cardstock using the wavy die from the Outside Edges set. I removed the adhesive, added Warm Diamond glitter, and cut the pieces to size. It's so pretty!

Here's a quick little video showing the front and how the card looks as it's opening. I hope you can see all the sparkle from the glitter! It's fabulous.

The supplies I used can be found at Elizabeth Craft Designs and Simon Says Stamp via the links below.





Be sure and check out the Elizabeth Craft Designs blog tomorrow for an amazing card from Karen and loads of inspiration from the rest of the team.

Have a great week!


4 comments:

  1. oh, this is soooo coool Shelly! I wanna go there too! =) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card made me so happy! I can't really explain why. It just did. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is as fun as it gets! A very merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!